Monday, October 24, 2005

Juan Ximenes, a Texas patriot


Juan Ximenes was my great-great-great grandfather who was born in San Antonio, Texas in 1810 and lived there all of his life. He fought for the Republic of Texas at the Storming of Bexar in 1835. The siege was a house-to-house gun battle that took place in early December when Mexican Gen. Martin Perfecto Cos came to San Antonio to set up his headquarters under orders from dictator Antonio López de Santa Ana. The Texian rebels under the command of Ben Milam heeded the call "who will go with ol´ Ben Milam into San Antonio?" Ximenes and about 300 others volunteered. It was a three-day bloody street battle that forced Cos and his men to flee the town when their supplies evaporated and the troops and animals were nearly starved.

Milam was killed a few weeks later in another skirmish. In March 1836, Gen. Santa Ana ambushed some 200 volunteers hold out at the Alamo. Ximenes was not among the valiant who perished. But his brother Damasio Ximenes lost his life fighting with the other defenders.

In April 1836, Juan N. Seguin, the town´s mayor who became dissatisfied with Santa Ana´s dictatorship, led a group of Mexican volunteers to San Jacinto to fight alongside with Gen. Sam Houston. Ximenes was one of them. The Battle of San Jacinto lasted less about 20 minutes and cost the Mexican dictator many of his men and his country´s northern territory which became the Republic of Texas.

You can read more about Juan Ximenes, as well as view early photos of his family, at http://texas.i-found-it.net/ximenes.html

12 Comments:

At October 24, 2005 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At October 24, 2005 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At August 14, 2009 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saludos! I'm related to Juan Ximenes as well. My mother's cousin, Irene, takes care of the Chapel of Miracles. Are you still in Spain? I'm working on getting more information on our ancestors. My email is ay_sisi@hotmail.com

 
At June 15, 2011 3:49 PM, Blogger Mo said...

This is really interesting - especially since you can trace your ancestry back to the man. I hadn´t heard of him despite doing Chicano Studies years ago. I´ll check out the link.

 
At October 13, 2014 5:18 PM, Blogger MAE said...

678Hey Madrid kid, Am just now seeing your post on Juan Antonio. He had a brother Juan Bassomero that is my great-great-great grandfather. In fact there were 4 childre. Juan Bassomero married Octavia Salcido. Anyway, was very interesting to find a jounalist across in Spain that is directly related. I'm registered Choctaw-Apache via this lineage. Glad to connect. Retired RN and paralegal. Into horses now. Hope your life is good. Please respond. Have lots more history if interested. Ximenes turned into Emanis. Our name was changed by my grandfather to Emmons. Am on FB under Mel Lowe.

 
At October 13, 2014 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooops, wrong Ximenes. Found with further investigation. Worth a shot researching though. Am researching Francisco Ximenes my great, great, great, great great, great grandfather from Spain. They may be related but don't know how at this point. Sorry for the false alarm. Further research!

 
At October 13, 2014 5:30 PM, Blogger MAE said...

Posted anonymously with second post, sorry. MAE

 
At February 03, 2015 3:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

my grandfather juan ximenez, are the names interchangeable. he looked a lot like my grandfather that lived in close by and was born in 1888

 
At February 03, 2015 3:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

my grandfather juan ximenez, are the names interchangeable. he looked a lot like my grandfather that lived in close by and was born in 1888

 
At March 05, 2015 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELLO I LIVE IN AUSTIN TX I HAVE A QUESTION DO YOU KNOW WHO WERE JUANS GRANDPARENTS I UNDERSTAND THAT HIS FATHER WAS JUAN FRANCISCO AND HE WAS FROM ZARAGOZA COAH BUT I HAVE NOT FOUNDRECORDS ON HIM, I AM INTRESTED IN THE LAST NAME BECAUSE MY MAIDEN NAME IS JIMENEZ AND MY ANCESTORS ARE FROM COAHUILA

 
At April 10, 2016 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
My family has found information that we too are related to Juan as he was my mother's great great great grandfather too.
We still I've in San Antonio and my relatives are all over the southern and central part of Texas. Can you tell me more about his earlier life and his brother's? My daughter is trying to do a project on famous Texans and we would love for her to understand the role he family has played rich part of our great state's history.
We have found names listed as Ximenes, Ximenez, Jimenez

 
At January 21, 2019 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Great Grandmother is Irene, if you have anymore info on our family history please email me at galindo685@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home